Friday, July 16, 2010

BP4_Spelling City




My Web 2.0 tool for this week is SpellingCity.com. This is a site my students use at school and at home for spelling practice. There is a free membership and a premium membership ($50.00 a year). I utilize the free membership portion of the site and make it work for me.

For example, under list management, I type in each students name and words for the week. As the students get more accustomed to the site, they enter their own words each week. The site then allows them to practice, play a game or take a test with their words.




Practice-Located under Teach Me:
When practice is started, each word is read aloud, spelled aloud, used in a sentence and the read aloud again. The students can practice as many times as they want.

Play a Game:
Students can use one of eleven games to continue to practice their weekly spelling words. Games range from sentence practice to word searches.

Test:
With the testing feature, students hear the word aloud and in a sentence. They can listen to the word or the sentence as many times as they want before spelling it. When students click the check me button the test is scored immediately for them. For the teachers records a copy of the test can be printed. (I usually walk around and record the students scores right in my grade book instead of having them print and waste all the paper.)

My husband also uses the site in his 5th grade classroom. His students enjoy it as much as mine do.

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I am so glad to see Spelling City.com as a web tool!!! It has been a great resource for me. So many parents have told me that they love the interactive games that their child can participate in as well as access to lists in advance. I loved using Spelling City.com on the SmartBoard as a reading station. I have told my neighbor about this recently and she will be using this for her son who has Asperger's to help develop his vocabulary as well as comprehension of words. My favorite part of this tool is the word definition portion and sentence construction.

    ReplyDelete