Saturday, February 5, 2011

Literature Review

From the beginning the literature review has worried me. I felt like I was being sent out to sea in just a raft-the sea being my lit review process and the raft being my topic. Sifting through all the literature was daunting, but I had to get my feet wet sometime.

I worried that I wouldn't have enough peer reviewed literature and felt there was a disconnect between my topic and some of the literature I found. After reading, rereading and more rereading, I finally started to see connections. Once I found the connections, it was a little easier to get through.

I also had a friend that was ahead of me in the program by about 5 months. She had previously asked me to read her lit review to check for grammar and such. When we began our lit review I asked her if I could use hers as a reference and she was kind enough to let me do so. She also let me share it within my group, so we at least had a reference.

I feel like Full Sail could have given us a bit more guidance when we started the literature review. I know there's more on the AR site about the lit review, but that came a bit too late for us. The good thing is it's there now for the future students when they need it.

3 comments:

  1. As I join the social revolution as a "Multitaker" LOL, I feel your pain with the Literature review. With all of our focus on meeting our weekly and monthly obligations of our course work, it felt like the blind leading the blind with getting to the meat of the literature review. I am glad that examples were given because it helped me to get back on track in the completion of my review. I still had many revisions, but now I think that it is done. Thanks for reflecting on the Lit Review because now I don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andrea and Cheryl,

    I too feel the pain of this literature review, I took two LOAs at the worst times possible and when I came back several things had changed. My AR is not done yet but I feel like I'm getting there. I hope I can get it done in time for this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete